[Ohiodig] Audio digitization staffing time / costs?

Sam Meister samalanmeister at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 11:11:34 EDT 2024

Greetings all,

I'm reaching out with a question related to staffing time / cost estimates
for audio digitization projects. I'm hoping that there might be some folks
in the OhioDIG community who would be willing to help / share information.

First off, a little background. Way back in 2016, when I was working with
the MetaArchive Cooperate I gave a talk at OhioDIG on MetaArchive and
digital preservation. I now have my own consulting practice
<https://futureaccessforall.com/> and have been working with WYSO
<https://www.wyso.org/>over in Yellow Springs on a project to help them
establish a formal archives program that will encompass their historic
analog materials (including over 1000 quarter inch reel-to-reel tapes) and
born-digital materials. They have digitized a relatively small number of
the reel-to-reel tapes (around 300), and are now seeking to formalize their
workflows and processes to align with audio digitization best practices and
ramp up their digitization activities. As part of this work, we are looking
to develop estimates of staff time needed for different digitization
workflow activities, such as preparing and shipping physical materials to
vendors, creating descriptive metadata, and conducting quality control
tasks. The actual digital conversion will continue to be performed by
external vendors, but we are looking to build out other elements of a
budget for ongoing digitization efforts, including supporting
digitization-on-demand requests.

Our primary question is:

1. Have you tracked, or have a rough sense of the average staff time needed
to perform the various tasks associated with your audio / audiovisual
digitization  workflows? If yes, would you be willing to share?

I recognize it may be easier to have a conversation on this topic, so if
you are willing to have a phone or Zoom chat, please feel free to get in
touch directly at sam at futureaccessforall.com

Thanks in advance for any information / insights you can share!

Best,

--
Sam Meister (he / him / his)
Future Access For All