[Ohiodig] Recommendations on user-friendly book scanners for patron use

Ben Daigle bdaigle1 at udayton.edu
Mon Nov 29 15:37:37 EST 2021

Hi OhioDIG!

I attended the OhioDIG meeting earlier this month and, like all others I've
attended previously, left feeling like I learned so much and discovered
lots of new threads to pull on in the days after. One of those threads has
to do with user-friendly book scanners designed to be used directly by
patrons in libraries or archives.

I was wondering if anyone in the group has experience with a vendor or book
scanner that offers a balance of good user experience and reasonable
quality. The use case I have in mind is a researcher/scholar working in an
archive or special collection who may or may not have a personal device
(e.g. smartphone) but would like to scan portions of books or other special
collections materials for their own research.

We currently have a Zeutschel Zeta scanner, but we have had some issues
with performance (software crashing) and some confusion with the interface.
If anyone has recommendations or suggestions, I'd welcome any and all!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Ben

--
Ben Daigle (he/him/his)
Director of Information Systems and Digital Access
bdaigle1 at udayton.edu
937-229-3551
[image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email
signature] <https://www.name-coach.com/benjamin-daigle>