[Ohiodig] Consumer archives question (Personal Digital Archiving)

Jenna Nolt noltj at kenyon.edu
Mon Feb 24 10:57:07 EST 2020

This is a great question, and I am curious to hear with other librarians
have to say. Personally, I archive family photos and videos into folders by
name of individual (I duplicate the files into multiple folders if more
than one person is depicted in them), and title the files with date and
content information in a standardized format using machine and human
readable best practices  to sort them (e.g. in the folder titled "Jenna
Nolt" you might find a file called "1985_01_09_FirstSnowDay"). I work with
the files in Google Drive (not Google Photos, I find it easier to organize
and share in Drive, but that is a personal preference), then back them up
to an external solid state drive (e.g.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-t5-1tb-external-usb-type-c-portable-solid-state-drive-deep-black/6026202.p?skuId=6026202).
I consider the external solid state drive to be the "archival" storage, and
use Google Drive for sharing with family and friends. This is a pretty
labor intensive process, but the best one for surviving tech changes that
I've found over the past ten years.

Best wishes and good luck with your archiving,

Jenna Nolt (she/her/hers)
Digital Initiatives Librarian
Mod C, Office 12
Kenyon College