[Ohiodig] Digitization Vision Paper

Stephanie Becker sxb891 at case.edu
Mon Oct 28 13:13:05 EDT 2019

Hello all,

On behalf of the Kelvin Smith Library at Case Western Reserve University,
we are pleased to announce the release of our white paper, A Vision for
Kelvin Smith Library's Digitization Program. The abstract is below, and you
may download the paper at: http://hdl.handle.net/2186/ksl:2006056360 .

*A Vision for Kelvin Smith Library's Digitization Program*

Stephanie Becker, Digital Collections Manager

Creation and Curation Services, Freedman Center for Digital Scholarship Team

Kelvin Smith Library, Case Western Reserve University

Through lessons learned over the past 20 years of digitizing materials, it
is apparent that we need to (re)structure our digitization program
specifically around human action for sustainability. New technology leads
to improved imaging techniques, which ultimately drives best practices in
the cultural heritage field. These changes pose challenges not just to KSL,
but to all institutions who invest their resources to meet current
standards, only to have those standards change a few years later. Time and
experience has helped us understand that sustaining the digitization and
stewardship of digital collections require as much, if not more,
infrastructure, staffing, and other various resources as our physical
collections do. Given this challenge, we will consider what human actions
support the long-term efforts of digitization and describe the value and
impact those actions will have on our ability to foster partnerships beyond
the university.

--
Stephanie Becker (she/hers)
Digital Collections Manager