[Ohiodig] Save the Date OhioDIG July 17 road trip to Cincy: Care and Handling During Image Capture, OPC Workshop

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Mon Jun 17 19:39:05 EDT 2019

Save the Date for the July OhioDIG road trip to Cincinnati on Wednesday July 17, 2019!

Just as we did on our very first OhioDIG road trip in 2015, our main meeting will be held at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County main library<https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/main/>, with a tour of the joint preservation lab of PLCHC and University of Cincinnati<http://thepreservationlab.org/> the afternoon before. We also hope to add another tour or two.

In collaboration with the Ohio Preservation Council<https://opc.ohionet.org/>:

Care and Handling During Image Capture Workshop
Speakers:

  *   Ashleigh Ferguson Schieszer, Ohio Preservation Council Education and Programs Chair, and Conservator, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County;
  *   Katrina Marshall, Digital Services Supervisor, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County;
  *   Miriam Nelson, Ohio Preservation Council Chair and Head of Preservation and Digital Initiatives, Ohio University Libraries,
  *   And other OPC members.
Program: Presented from a preventative conservation perspective, this workshop will provide guidelines and tips to protect special collections during the digitization capture process. Preservation topics will include transportation, environment and workflow considerations for rare materials. A brief overview on identifying book parts and common condition issues will be followed by a discussion on handling and supporting fragile materials. Discussions will be illustrated with objects and examples of archival supports. Tricks to safely remove damaging fasteners will also be demonstrated.
Host: Katrina Marshall, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Site: Main Library-Huenefeld Tower Room, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (800 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202)
Directions/Parking: https://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/main/directions.html
Tours: Tuesday July 16, 3pm optional tour of the Preservation Lab, Located at The University of Cincinnati Libraries, 300 Langsam Library, University of Cincinnati, 45221-0033. More info coming soon!
OhioDIG Contacts: Janet Carleton & John Dewees

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE - July 17
- 10:00-10:30am: coffee & cookie social
- 10:30-11:45am: presentation & discussion
- 11:45-12:00pm: break/rearrange room
- 12:00pm-1:15pm: brown bag lunch: announcements, all-attendee updates, discussion
- 1:30pm: Tour of PLCH Digital Services (onsite)

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to all with an interest in digitization,  digital preservation, and access in the archives/library/museum/historical society world. We meet every other month, primarily in central Ohio (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov).

https://ohiodig.org/ | Meetings: https://ohiodig.org/meetings | Listserv: https://ohiodig.org/listserv | Regional Events Calendar: https://ohiodig.org/calendar | Facebook: https://facebook.com/groups/OhioDIG/ | Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/ohiodig/ | Twitter: https://twitter.com/OhioDIGgroup
OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | Preservation and Digital Initiatives | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 333 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | https://media.library.ohio.edu  | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/