[Ohiodig] Digitization file storage arrangements

Chatham Ewing chatham.ewing at cpl.org
Fri Jan 25 13:36:17 EST 2019

Janet,

We have a 14 TB server with tape backup used as immediate working space for projects. It's set up as a network share and maintained by ClevNET IT. We use it as an immediate storage place for things we scan, a storage place for things processed through CCS Docworks, and as a local mirror for what we upload into Duracloud/Duraspace  The server was paid for by the Digital Hubs grant, is getting long in the tooth, and is likely due for refresh in the relatively near future.

We use Duraspace/Duracloud for preservation storage.

We use ContentDM for access.

So that we don't have to maintain two separate sets of access metadata, and right now its only for most of our photograph collection, and for some of our map collections, we are placing a partial link from our access copy (ContentDM) to our backend storage -- our public service staff has the additional part of the URL and a login that allows them to access the files.  See the digital file storage field in this record for an example:

https://cdm16014.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p4014coll18/id/1780/rec/2

This linking is an ongoing project for us, and we're moving deliberately to link all of our collections, but it's a resource intensive activity that moves along slowly.

Hope this helps.

BTW did you see that Lyrasis will be merging with Duraspace?

Chatham

Chatham Ewing
Digital Library Strategist
Cleveland Public Library