[Ohiodig] Fwd: Image Splitting Software

Noah Stegman Rechtin noah at tswm.org
Wed Feb 7 14:21:05 EST 2024

Dear All,

Does anyone know of any good batch image processing software – preferably
free – that can be used to split book pages into two separate files? I have
been scanning both the left and right pages of bound documents at once to
reduce the amount of time it takes, but this is an issue when uploading to
a site like the Internet Archive when using book format, as it results in
one virtual page displaying two actual pages. (*see attached
<http://www.archive.org/details/FWH-LB2/page/1>*)

Specifically, I'm looking for one where the split line is adjustable
horizontally and not fixed dead-center, as the separation between the pages
is not always at the middle of the image. I have recently been using a
program called ImBatch <http://www.highmotionsoftware.com/products/imbatch>
for cropping the excess "white space" from scans provided by an outside
organization – which it has worked relatively well for – and it has a split
function. However, it appears to not be adjustable in this regard. (*see
attached*)

In return, I offer a few free software I have used for other museum or
digitization purposes:

   - *Audacity* <http://www.audacityteam.org/> – audio editor, not used much
   - *Bulk Rename Utility <http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/>* – mass
   file renaming software, used for formatting file names
   - *GIMP <http://www.gimp.org/>* – raster graphics editor, used for
   various illustrations
   - *Hugin* <http://hugin.sourceforge.io/> – panorama photo stitcher, not
   used much
   - *Inkscape* <http://www.inkscape.org/> – vector graphics editor, not
   used much
   - *IrfanView* <http://www.irfanview.com/> – image viewer, editor,
   organizer and converter, not used much
   - *QCAD* <http://www.qcad.org/> – CAD software, used for exhibit design
   - *VLC Media Player* <http://www.videolan.org/vlc> – media player, used
   for viewing videos
   - *Zotero* <http://www.zotero.org/> – citation management software, used
   for library catalog

Sincerely,
Noah Stegman Rechtin
*Collections Manager & Museum Attendant*
*Tri-State Warbird Museum <http://www.tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/>*