[Ohiodig] [External] EAD Finding Aids

Nicholas A Pavlik npavlik at bgsu.edu
Tue Sep 26 10:03:01 EDT 2023

Hi Marsha,

We're also now using ArchivesSpace. Although technically we're still in the midst of a multiyear project migrating all our legacy finding aids to ArchivesSpace, so we remain in that awkward transitional phase where you can find our finding aids on two platforms. We are nearing completion on the project though, and our hope is that within a year we'll be exclusively in ArchivesSpace. Overall, ASpace's internal collection management functionality has been hugely helpful for us. The public interface, though, in my opinion, still leaves a lot to be desired, at least in the out-of-the-box version.  We've been working with our web developer to make a lot of customizations to our public interface to improve and streamline the user experience, and we're much happier with the changes we've made compared to the default version of the public interface.

You are not required to become an ASpace institutional member in order to use the application. If you have someone with the technical proficiency to manage an internal ASpace server for your institution, you can use it at no cost (no monetary cost, at least). We did this for several years before finally becoming a member a couple years ago - I believe the membership cost for an institution of our size is about $5K annually.  So the costs come into play if you want to become an institutional member, or if you require hosting services for the application. There are definitely some nice perks that come with membership.

Happy to (try to) answer any questions you may have off-list!

Thanks,
Nick

Nicholas A. Pavlik
Manuscripts and Digital Initiatives Archivist
Center for Archival Collections
[cid:image001.png at 01D9F060.A1D30C70]
Jerome Library, 5th Floor
Bowling Green State University