[Ohiodig] Sensitive/harmful image warnings

Susan Hernandez SHernandez at clevelandart.org
Fri Sep 22 13:35:23 EDT 2023

Hi Angela,

We aren't a public library, but we have added content warnings that I can share. There was a lot of back and forth about the language.

Here's the content warning on our main digital collections page https://digitalarchives.clevelandart.org/. It reads "These collections may include some historical images and language that are harmful or offensive. Our metadata is a work in progress. To report harmful or inaccurate content contact digitization at clevelandart.org<mailto:digitization at clevelandart.org>."

We also added similar language to the landing pages for these two collections:
https://digitalarchives.clevelandart.org/digital/collection/p17142coll1 https://digitalarchives.clevelandart.org/digital/collection/p17142coll14

"This collection includes some historical images and language that may be harmful, offensive, or difficult to view. Some items may reflect racist, sexist, xenophobic, and culturally insensitive opinions and attitudes. Our metadata is work in progress. To report harmful or inaccurate content contact digitization at clevelandart.org<mailto:digitization at clevelandart.org>."

Susan Hernandez
Museum Archivist
The Cleveland Museum of Art
11150 East Boulevard