[Ohiodig] (no subject)

Hannah Kemp-Severence hfkseverence at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 11:16:29 EDT 2022

Hello,

I'm a graduate student at the University of Akron and also an SOA member.
I'm working on a research project for my Foundations of Museums and
Archives course that involves researching trends in the Archives profession
and related communities (libraries, other cultural institutions, etc.)
regarding DEI initiatives, especially focused on social justice and Black
Lives Matter movements. I would like to focus locally on Ohio Archival
Institutions and perform a review of activities, initiatives, conferences,
programming, and outreach to patrons and surrounding communities, etc.
happening around this topic. This could include but is definitely not
limited to reparative description projects.

I did attend the “Crucial Conversations: Recognizing and Overcoming Racial
Injustice & Bias,” SOA zoom discussion in January*, *but was not able to
attend the follow-up discussions at the annual SOA Spring meeting or joint
fall meeting. If anyone has feedback regarding those sessions, or if any
institutions, practitioners or other OhioDig participants might be willing
to share experiences, program developments, ideas, or set-backs they may
have encountered in work on DEI initiatives or related areas, I would
love to hear them.

Please contact me off list if you would be willing to share (
hfkseverence at gmail.com). Please also let me know if anyone has questions or
would like more information from me.

 I very much appreciate any thoughts, insights, or input you may have
regarding this project and the importance of this subject in the archival
and cultural heritage fields.

Thank you,

Hannah Kemp-Severence