[Ohiodig] Paid Genealogy Library Internship

lswanson at ogs.org lswanson at ogs.org
Thu Dec 9 14:04:14 EST 2021

The Ohio Genealogical Society is offering a paid internship this winter. The
intern must be able to work at our site in Bellville, Ohio, but with Covid
in mind, much of the work can be done in a private office in the library.
There is a small possibility that some work can be done remotely. The hours
per week are flexible and the internship begins in January and ends no later
than April 30. OGS received a $2,100 grant for this internship. The entity
that funds this opportunity perceived it as an undergraduate opportunity,
but due to OGS's purpose we are allowed to offer it to current graduate
library and archivist students.

POSITION:  Genealogy Library Intern

REPORTS TO:  Library Collections Manager

QUALIFICATIONS:

Current college student with any focus of study, but students with an
interest in libraries, archives, genealogy, and/or history are preferred

Must be able to follow instructions, perform tasks accurately, and work
independently

MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES:

Scan selected items from our collection as directed for use on our website

Edit scans using Adobe Acrobat (cropping, applying optical character
recognition, and optimizing)

Process archival material for preservation (unfolding, removing staples,
organizing into folders, etc.)

Prepare library materials to be added to the main collection shelves

OPTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:

Assess resources and create short descriptions as cover sheets for digital
objects

Assess manuscript material and create finding aids

Move and shift library books and archived materials

Staff library desk and assist patrons with online and physical collections

SKILLS ACQUIRED:

Scanning and editing digital objects

Handling primary documents and archival resources

Organizing and preserving archival objects

Experiencing library collection workflows

COMPENSATION:

Pay is $14.00 per hour and work must be within library hours, Monday -
Saturday, 9:00am - 5:00pm. The intern's work schedule can be flexible but in
general should be a minimum of 10 hours per week up to a maximum of 40 hours
a week.

To apply, letter of interest noting the applicant's name, college, major,
and year in school and a resume should be emailed to lswanson at ogs.org (Linda
Swanson, OGS Library Collections Manager).

THE OHIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY   ogs.org  611 SR 97 W, Bellville, OH  44813
419-886-1903