[Ohiodig] trigger warnings/disclaimers

Noah Stegman Rechtin noah at tswm.org
Thu Apr 29 11:10:26 EDT 2021

Marsha,

The way that the German Federal Archive handled it on the images they
uploaded to Wikimedia Commons was informative. They started back in 2008
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Bundesarchiv>, I imagine
before use of disclaimers became a bit more widespread, and feature this
statement in the summary box
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:BArch-image> below every image:
"For documentary purposes the German Federal Archive often retained the
original image captions, which may be erroneous, biased, obsolete or
politically extreme." (Example
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-0806-0003,_Berlin,_Reichskanzlei,_Ruine.jpg>
)

Whatever you do, can you please just not make it show as a popup on every
single page? I seem to remember the Australian War Memorial
<http://www.awm.gov.au> had that and it was really frustrating to have to
repeatedly close it. However, my guess is this was more of a technical
problem (i.e. the website not tracking when users had already visited
another page), than a deliberate choice on the part of the museum.

Sincerely,
Noah Stegman Rechtin
*Tri-State Warbird Museum <http://tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/>*
*Collections Manager & Museum Attendant*