[Ohiodig] Purpose of Unscannable Area on Scanners

Noah Stegman Rechtin noah at tswm.org
Wed Nov 25 13:33:31 EST 2020

Dear OhioDig Members,

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but what is the purpose of the
unscannable area on scanners? I have been using both an Epson V600 and an
Epson 12000XL with Epson Scan and SilverFast software respectively at our
museum and both have a small area – roughly a couple millimeters – around
the edge of the platten that it is not possible to scan from. According to
a webpage
<http://support.brother.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/84599/~/what-is-the-unscannable-area-on-my-scanner%3F>
for another scanner manufacturer, this is "by design", but it does not
explain the reason.

The reason I ask is because I was considering making a template to set on
the platten to take up said area, but I don't want to interfere with the
operation of the scanner if the area is somehow necessary. Being able to
line the documents up against the edge so that they are straight would
improve the speed at which I could scan documents.

Sincerely,
Noah Stegman Rechtin
*Tri-State Warbird Museum <http://tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/>*
*Collections Manager & Museum Attendant*