[Ohiodig] some links to photography-related info

McCrory, Amy mccrory.7 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 15 17:04:29 EST 2019

Hi all,

Yesterday's meeting was really enjoyable. Everyone seems to have some exciting project (or multiple projects!) going on these days.

Nilabh Chaudhary asked specifically about photography of museum objects. Here's a couple resources I've found useful:

Lighting Methods for Photographing Museum Objects, by Carl Bigras, Mylene Choquette, and Jeremy Powell. Published by the Canadian Conservation Institute.
This is a good reference manual, with illustrations, showing lighting setups that work well for various objects.

Light: Science and Magic, by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, and Paul Fuqua.
This book is somewhat more theoretical and takes a lot longer to absorb. But it's very useful for thinking about light and how it behaves.

For both books, a prerequisite would be knowing how to use manual controls on a DSLR camera, and understanding the differences between types of lenses.

Finally, in response to the question about getting gold on manuscripts to reflect, here's a post<https://library.osu.edu/site/digitalscholarship/2015/09/10/photographing-manuscripts/> I wrote about it (along with some other manuscript issues) a few years ago. Note that although the relevant photographic setup shows plain speedlight flashes aimed at the manuscript, I actually place softbox diffusers over the flashes a lot of the time, to avoid having light that's too harsh.

I hope this will be helpful!

Amy

[The Ohio State University]
Amy McCrory
Digitization Program Manager
University Libraries Preservation & Digitization Department
125D Library Tech Center
1165 Kinnear Road  Columbus, OH  43212 USA
(614) 292-8647
Photography portfolio<https://amymccrory.wordpress.com/>
Pronouns: she/her/hers | Honorific: Ms.