[Ohiodig] Internet Archive Discussion Point

McCrory, Amy mccrory.7 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:24:49 EST 2018

Hi John,

Like Oberlin College’s Library, we scan using a Table Top Scribe and pay Internet Archive to handle all post-processing through the Gold Package service. For the occasional rare and/or fragile book, we do the digitization on a copy stand instead, do the post-processing and conversion ourselves, and upload a completed PDF, instead of going through the Gold Package routine. But the majority of our books are done on the Scribe.

I like their user-friendly online presentation, and the fact that people can download texts in several different formats (PDF, ePUB, etc). Some people question IA’s commitment to long-term preservation, though IA has said they care about this, and they host their digital content on redundant servers in diverse geographic locations to protect against data loss.

Amy

Amy McCrory
Head, Digital Imaging Unit
Preservation & Reformatting Department, The Ohio State University Libraries
125D Library Tech Center
1165 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212 USA
(614) 292-8647