[Ohiodig] CORRECTED (disregard previous) OPAL 2018- Call for Proposals

Crossfield McIntosh, Jessica jcrossfieldmcintosh at otterbein.edu
Sun Mar 18 15:43:45 EDT 2018

2018 OPAL Conference

Call for Proposals

Friday, August 3, 2018

Otterbein University

Deadline: Proposal submissions are due by Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Conference Theme: “Stronger Together: Voices Raised in Advocacy"

Conference Description:

Academic libraries are often seeking out new and innovative ways to reach out and engage with their constituencies. In what ways can libraries collaborate to engage current or new patrons? Can we partner with other libraries or other community members to show off our library resources or our skills? How can we advocate for ourselves and for communities we serve?

Let's celebrate what we learn from one another by taking a moment to reflect on what we do, to not take it for granted, and to share it with others so we can pay forward ideas and spark new ones. During the 20th anniversary of OPAL, the OPAL Executive Council (EC) will share out new messaging to help us unite around the value proposition that started it all and allows us to continually benefit by our shared consortial experience.

We are soliciting breakout presenters and poster sessions to follow this year’s theme in the following conference topics (presentations outside of these recommendations will also be considered):

● Activism (affordable learning, IMLS, support of student protest)

● Advocacy, Marketing & Outreach (telling the library's story, events planning, social media, public relations)

● Collaboration & Partnerships (cross-campus partnerships, community partnerships, decision making, etc.)

● Services (circulation/reference, instruction, technical services)

● Spaces (virtual/web spaces, makerspaces, displays, exhibitions)

Proposal Format

We welcome proposals for 45-minute presentations or poster sessions. In your proposal, please provide:

1. Title of presentation/poster

2. Conference topics:

a. Activism

b. Advocacy, Marketing & Outreach

c. Collaboration & Partnerships

d. Services

e. Spaces

3. Brief abstract (100 - 300 words)

a. In what ways are you advocating for your library? Your community?

b. How have your students or staff benefited?

c. What are your next steps?

4. Name, email address, and phone number of presenter(s)

Proposal submissions are due by Tuesday, May 1, 2018. Submit your proposal via email to Kristin Cole at cole1 at otterbein.edu<mailto:cole1 at otterbein.edu>.