[Ohiodig] Digitizing Audiocassettes

Newman, Linda (newmanld) NEWMANLD at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed Feb 14 17:15:53 EST 2018

Hi Jane -

If a one-time need for a large collection, I'd consider outsourcing.  We successfully outsourced an audio collection a few years ago with a local vendor.  The collection was magnetic tape on both reel and cassette.     The vendor had experience, knew when 'baking' the tapes might be necessary to get data, understood normalizing sound for volume, understood the history of emulsions and of magnetic tape itself - in sum they understood the issues covered in the 'signal -extraction' document that Tressa alerts us to below (see linked to that document https://www.iasa-web.org/tc04/reproduction-analogue-magnetic-tapes).

In addition to providing uncompressed (wav) audio files, the vendor provided metadata in a spreadsheet, entering the title and any other information printed or written on the label, box or case.   The vendor we worked with was QCA in Cincinnati.   http://go-qca.com/   I assume that they still do this type of work, but haven't worked with them again since that project concluded.

Hope this helps!

-- Linda

From: ohiodig-bounces at lists.library.ohio.gov [mailto:ohiodig-bounces at lists.library.ohio.gov] On Behalf Of Graves, Tressa M.
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:01 PM
To: Sabharwal, Arjun <Arjun.Sabharwal at utoledo.edu>; Wildermuth, Jane S. <jane.wildermuth at wright.edu>; ohiodig at lists.library.ohio.gov
Subject: Re: [Ohiodig] Digitizing Audiocassettes

Hi Jane,

The ARSC Guide to Audio Preservation and IASA's Guidelines on the Production and Preservation of Digital Audio Objects have guidelines for playback equipment.

https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub164/

https://www.iasa-web.org/tc04/signal-extraction-original-carriers

Best,
Tressa

[The Ohio State University]
Tressa Graves, MLIS | AV Assessment & Process Assistant
The Ohio State University Libraries | Libraries Tech Center
1165 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH 43212
graves.387 at osu.edu<mailto:graves.387 at osu.edu>