[Ohiodig] Register: 1/9 OhioDIG meeting: The Internet Archive: The Ways in Which We Use It

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Thu Dec 20 20:07:49 EST 2018

Please join the Ohio Digitization Interest Group at our first meeting of 2019 at 10am on Wednesday, January 09, 2019, at the State Library of Ohio.

(Snow date: Thursday, Jan 24, 2019)

Please register by Mon 1/7, 5pm. Limited to 60. https://goo.gl/forms/6EBhciAp69XW4QVt1

Presentation: The Internet Archive: The Ways in Which We Use It

Panelists:
 - John Dewees, supervisor, Digitization Services, Toledo Lucas County Public Library. "Experimenting with IA." Attendees will learn how to quickly get started using the IA for hosting ebooks<https://archive.org/details/@tlcpl>, both using the web and FTP interfaces, and what the advantages of doing so might be.
- Kayla Harris, librarian / archivist, Marian Library, University of Dayton. "Archive-It at UD." UD Libraries has used Archive-It<https://www.udayton.edu/blogs/libraries/2018-09-25-archiveit.php>, IA's subscription-based web archiving tool, for several years to archive the university's website, social media and other websites of interest to our special collections departments.
- Amy McCrory, head, Digital Imaging Unit, Preservation & Reformatting Dept, The Ohio State University Libraries. "IA Scribe<https://archive.org/details/tabletopscribesystem>: scanning workflow choices and challenges." OUL uses the IA purpose-built scanner and subscribes to its post-processing service.
 - Representatives from Cleveland Public Digital Library, Cleveland Public Library. "IA Community Webs<https://archive-it.org/blog/projects/community-webs/>." CPL participates in the IMLS/IA-funded program to provide education, applied training, cohort support, and web archiving services for public librarians to develop expertise in web archiving using Archive-It.

Please see the meetings page for more detail at https://ohiodig.org/meetings

- Host: Penelope Shumaker, State Library of Ohio
- Program: Janet Carleton, Ohio University Libraries
- Food: Coffee & cookies will be offered at the start of the meeting. Lunch will be brown bag. Pop and snack machines on site.
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the refreshment kitty.
- Site: State Library of Ohio, Boardroom, 274 E. First Ave, Columbus, OH 43211
- Directions/Parking: Free onsite parking (http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/directions)

AGENDA
- 10:00-10:30 coffee social (coffee & cookies);
- 10:30-11:30 presentation and discussion on topic;
- 11:30-11:45 break;
- 11:45-1:00 brown bag lunch: announcements, all-attendee updates, discussion;
- 1:15- optional: tour of SLO digitization center
- 1:15- optional: small group discussions (user groups, meetings, birds of a feather)

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to those with an interest in digitization in the archives/library/museum/historical society world.

https://ohiodig.org/ - Meetings: https://ohiodig.org/meetings - Sign up for Listserv: https://ohiodig.org/listserv -  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OhioDIG/ - Twitter: https://twitter.com/OhioDIGgroup

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | Preservation and Digital Initiatives | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 333 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | https://media.library.ohio.edu  | @jcarletonoh<https://twitter.com/jcarletonoh> | @AldenLibDigital <https://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital> | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/