[Ohiodig] Register: OhioDIG 5/10 - Implementing and Applying Accessibility - BGSU

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 19 11:40:41 EDT 2018

Oops-- link to register: https://goo.gl/forms/hwdCwDxyLnKIvBdn1

From: Carleton, Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:34 AM
To: ohiodig at lists. library. ohio. gov (ohiodig at lists.library.ohio.gov) <ohiodig at lists.library.ohio.gov>
Subject: Register: OhioDIG 5/10 - Implementing and Applying Accessibility - BGSU

Please join the Ohio Digitization Interest Group for our May meeting at the Bowling Green State University Libraries on Thursday, May 10, 2018.

Please register by Friday 5/4, 5pm. Limited to 60.

Presentation: Implementing and Applying Accessibility

- Speakers:
   - Michelle Chronister, associate dean of the University Libraries at Bowling Green State University, will discuss how BGSU is approaching and prioritizing accessibility improvements to their website, which is managed by a distributed group.
   - Marsha Miles, head, Digital Initiatives and Collections and Barb Loomis, project coordinator will share Cleveland State University's Michael Schwartz Library workflows for processing files to meet the accessibility standards.
   - Virginia Dressler, digital projects librarian, and Jason Piatt, electronic & information technology manager, Student Accessibility, Kent State University, will talk about accessibility and digital projects at KSU and how accessibility has been incorporated into new digital projects. This work began with the implementation of an institutional policy relating to accessibility and digital content, and how this has led to the Digital Projects Librarian to adapt production workflows to meet accessibility requirements. We will talk about the learning curves involved in the process and how the KSU accessibility office has assisted in this endeavor with hands on training and education to library staff.
   - Emily Gattozzi, coordinator of Scholarly Publishing, and Lindy Smith, reference archivist, Music Library and Bill Schurk Sound Archives, Bowling Green State University, have set out to create some guidelines and best practices for making sure digital media is accessible to all users as part of a larger effort to improve the accessibility of all library generated web content. They will talk about the process of making BGSU's media accessible and suggest some tools and resources to help you do the same.

AGENDA
-              10:00-10:30 coffee social (coffee & cookies);
-              10:30-12:15 presentation and discussion on topic; (Note: extended presentation segment)
-              12:15-12:30 break;
-              12:30-1:45 brown bag lunch: announcements, all-attendee updates, discussion;
-              1:45-2:45 tours (optional) (tours start at 1:45 and 2:15; pick 2)

- Host: Michelle Sweetser, BGSU
- Program: Adam Wanter, OhioDIG planning committee
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the refreshment kitty.

- Food:
   - Coffee & snacks will be offered at the start of the meeting.
   - Lunch will be brown bag or ordering box lunch.
   - You are welcome to bring your own lunch or to purchase grab and go salads, sandwiches, and snacks from the library's café (very limited selection).
   - We will facilitate the purchase of box lunches for those who are interested at a cost of $13.
   - You must place your lunch order (if you choose) by submitting payment at https://commerce.cashnet.com/BGSULIBU  and indicating your preference on the form below by Friday, May 4.
   - Menu for box lunch: https://www.bgsu.edu/content/dam/BGSU/libraries/documents/cac/Call-of-Canyon-Menu.pdf

- TOURS

-          Tours start at 1:45 and 2:15; pick TWO to attend

-          Browne Popular Culture Library<https://www.bgsu.edu/library/pcl.html>: The BPCL, founded in 1969, is the most comprehensive archive of its kind in the United States.  Our focus and mission is to acquire and preserve research materials on American Popular Culture (post 1876) for curricular and research use. Our collection strengths include research materials on popular fiction, popular entertainment, and the graphic arts.

-          Center for Archival Collections<https://www.bgsu.edu/library/cac.html>: The CAC is an archive and manuscript repository within University Libraries. Our collection strengths include our manuscript collections, the Historical Collection of the Great Lakes, our Rare Books & Special Collections, and the National Student Affairs Archive. We are also the home of the BGSU University Archives, and house local records from the nineteen counties of Northwest Ohio.

-          Collab Lab<https://www.bgsu.edu/library/collab-lab.html>: The  Lab is a hands-on, creative space for students, faculty, staff and community members to engage in collaborative work. Its goal is to support teams of innovators working together to conceive, create, develop and refine new products and services leveraging the unique talents inherent to the University community which is centered on design thinking. The lab is a 2,000-square-foot facility and includes rapid prototyping tools such as 3-D printers and scanners, video production workspaces, whiteboards.

-          Music Library and Bill Schurk Sounds Archives<https://www.bgsu.edu/library/music.html>: The ML/BSSA support curriculum in Music, Popular Culture, and American Culture Studies. With almost a million recordings, the Sound Archives represents the largest collection of popular music recordings in an academic library in North America. Our collections also include books, scores, and video formats covering music studies from multiple angles.

LOCATION: William T. Jerome Library, Pallister Conference Room, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio
   - Directions & Parking: Driving directions and a map showing parking adjacent to the Jerome Library are available on our LibGuide at http://libguides.bgsu.edu/c.php?g=227372&p=1506850
  - Parking: if you plan to be on campus for less than four hours, hourly parking is available in the first two rows of Lot N closest to the library. The pay and display machine takes cash, coin, or credit card. Alternately, you can purchase a $2 parking pass in advance. Passes will be distributed to you by a staff member at the pay and display kiosk at the south end of Lot N. Please purchase by Friday, May 4. Link to pre-purchase: https://commerce.cashnet.com/BGSULIBU

LOCAL LODGING:
- Hampton Inn<http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ohio/hampton-inn-bowling-green-BGNOHHX/index.html>, 142 Campbell Hill Rd., Bowling Green
- Best Western Falcon Plaza<https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotels-in-bowling-green/best-western-falcon-plaza/propertyCode.36052.html>, 1450 E. Wooster St., Bowling Green
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott<http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tolbg-fairfield-inn-and-suites-bowling-green/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2>, 1544 E. Wooster St., Bowling Green

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to those with an interest in digitization in the archives/library/museum/historical society world. https://ohiodig.org/

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | Preservation and Digital Initiatives | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | https://www.library.ohio.edu/about/collections/digital-archives/  | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/